• Menu
  • Menu

Does It Snow In Spain?

Spain occupies almost 85 percent of the Iberian Peninsula, located in southwestern Europe, the remaining 15 percent being taken by Portugal. It sits on an area of 505,990 square kilometers and is the only European country having a physical border with an African country – Morocco. Historically rich Madrid acts as the nation’s capital. But does it snow in Spain?

Spain is climatically diverse, and experiences varied climatic conditions across its expansive territory. The Mediterranean coastline experiences a Mediterranean climate, the area between Pyrenees and Asturias experiences oceanic climate; northern Spain has a subtropical climate, and desert climate exists south-eastern coast of Spain.

Snow may fall in areas having high altitudes of about 4534 feet (1382 meters) above sea level, such as northwestern Spain. Winter in these regions tends to chilly, with temperatures often drop below the freezing point.

When does it Snow in Spain?

The thought of Spain brings up images of beautiful sandy beaches and hot sunny weather. It never seems to snow, but it does during winter, and it may even top summer fun as you can go skiing!

Temperatures get chilly in places like Madrid, with lows of 39 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius) being recorded. The temperatures drop further as you go up in altitude.

Snow in December

This is the first month of winter in Spain. It’s almost freezing in Madrid, with temperatures averaging 37.4 degrees Fahrenheit (3degrees Celsius). Places like Lugo, at an altitude of 1,450 feet (450 meters), get pretty cold and frequently frosts at night.

Snow in January

January is the coldest month in Spain. Lugo averages lows of 35.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2degrees Celsius). It snows heavily in the mountainous regions.

Snow in February

As winter draws to a close, temperatures gradually warm-up, with Madrid averaging 44.6 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees Celsius). Northern Spain is still freezing with average low temperatures of 35.06 degrees Fahrenheit (1.7 degrees Celsius).

Where does it Snow in Spain?

Snow in Madrid

Madrid is located at an altitude of 2150 feet (655 meters) above sea level and occupies 604.31 square kilometers. Madrid’s climate is moderately continental with cold winters. The coldest month is January, with an average low of 35.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius). It frequently snows in the higher altitude areas of northern Madrid, but significant accumulation is rarely observed.

Snow in the Pyrenees

The Pyrenees is a mountain range on the border of France and Spain. The highest peak is 11,168 feet (3,404 meters) at Aragon. During winter, the temperature is below zero degrees. This area receives 26 days of snowfall per year. It mostly snows from November to April.

Ski Resorts in Spain

Spain is not a popular skiing destination but avails the unusual novelty of skiing and going to the beach on the same day.

Spain provides 1,157 kilometers of slope for winter-sport activities.

Ski Resort Baqueira

This resort is located in Val d’Aran and is one of the largest ski resorts in the Pyrenees. It has 160 kilometers of slope situated between 1,500 and 2,610 meters. It has 29 lifts that provide transport services.

It operates from December to early April.

Learn more about the country

Leave a reply